by Alison C.
I was recently inspired to streamline the workflow of building my résumé. It’s built in LaTeX, with some conditional compilation tricks to create different versions (e.g. different email addresses, with/without phone number, include/exclude semi-irrelevant employment experience) from one source file.
Previously I did this with a shell script and uploading the output pdf files to the repository, but I wasn’t satisfied with that. I had to maintain several different build scripts (
.sh for Linux boxes,
.bat for Windows boxes,
Makefile for boxes where I had cloned the repository to a
noexec filesystem) and change all three of them when I added a new compilation flag. And then remember to run the build before committing. And then remember to
git add the changed pdfs. And then commit the pdfs, which is something one should not do. Yeah. Terrible.
I briefly toyed with the idea of writing my own bhook consumer for the repository, which would subscribe to push events and rebuild the pdfs on a push. Then I realised that’s essentially a reinvention of continuous integration, and why should I write my own crappy pseudo-CI résumé compiler when there are plenty of real CI services out there, and probably somebody who’s done the work of setting up a LaTeX project to work with a CI service already.
Sure enough, this is a thing. The first result is Miro Cupak’s Continuous Integration for LaTeX, which lays out a pretty coherent argument why LaTeX projects deserve CI too. I initially followed his setup, which uses Travis-CI and the TeX Live distribution packaged with Ubuntu.
However, I quickly ran into some problems. My résumé uses the Roboto and Inconsolata fonts via the
inconsolata TeX Live packages, which I was attempting to install à la carte by using
tlmgr, the TeX Live package manager. (I didn’t realise they were both included in the
texlive-fonts-extra Ubuntu package. Oops.)
tlmgr wasn’t successful because of an incompatibility between TeX Live 2015 and later database format (see this TeX.SX answer), so I set about designing a solution that (1) was quicker to run than seven or eight minutes for the Travis-CI virtual machine to start up and install a full TeX Live distribution and (2) used vanilla TeX Live instead of the Ubuntu packaged version.
What I came up with installs a minimal TeX Live distribution using
install-tl and a pre-generated installation profile, then automatically discovers dependencies using
texliveonfly. I used
install-tl as a normal user because
sudo-enabled Travis build instances (which is obviously required for installing packages using
apt) are full virtual machines which take longer to spin up than container-based non-
sudo-enabled build instances, and
texliveonfly because installing a minimal list of packages then discovering dependencies dynamically is faster than installing the full complement of packages.
texlive.profile are below.
This results in a total build and deploy time of around two minutes, instead of eight minutes for Miro’s method. This could probably be improved with a bit of manual intervention –
texliveonfly resolves dependencies “whack-a-mole” style i.e. keeps compiling the same document over and over again, halting on missing package errors, installing that package, until compilation succeeds. If you examined the build output to find what packages
texliveonfly is installing, then added them to the
before_install step of
.travis.yml, performance would improve.
Edit 2018-05-08: Expanded upon reason for choosing vanilla TeX Live and